On December 19—although it’s already energetically upon us—Saturn slips into its home sign of Capricorn. Why is it the home sign? In a round-about way we can say it’s because Saturn is about limits, time, consequence, reality checks, and bottom lines ... just like Capricorn is. Every planet has a most comfy sign or two associated with it, and these pretty much characterize what the planet signifies.
For those with plenty of Earth in their chart, or personal planets in those harmonious with Capricorn,* this Saturn transit will be less of a grab to your shoulders and shake. But even if it is, the point is to wake you up so that you can get grounded and move forward. This can be a time of destruction in the name of transformation, especially since Pluto is also in transiting through Capricorn. Add to all of this an exploring karmic consequences—paying dues or receiving just rewards.
To stay as practical as possible in the spirit of this big shift, I offer five every-day suggestions for more consciously maxing out this time.
1. Do something when you don’t feel like it: This is where the growth is at.
2. Take extra time at the beginning to discuss, write out and plan steps to achieving anything you set out to do—the meticulous bits that are usually a pain will be rewarded at this time.
3. Integrate quality control, and whenever possible excellence, into everything you do—don’t stop where everyone else would just because you feel it is finished. Look at it square. Ask yourself if you would buy it yourself. Polish.
4. Own your shit. If someone bothers you, ask what it is about that that triggers you. Work on yourself. The more you do this, the less mess you make with others and karma you have to suffer as a result. You don’t have to grovel and be unworthy of respect … just keep track of where your stuff begins and ends; some of us exaggerate this somehow in favor of us having less issues than others.
5. Mind the roots and treat the fruits like a surprise. This is good general policy, but expecting fanfare now for what you work on is not going to make it any easier to cope with how much work and effort is required at this time of testing and scrapping and rebuilding based on solid, grounded limits and realities.
*Getting a natal reading by a professional will help you see where and how Saturn's (as well as Pluto's since they are both in Capricorn, although Pluto for 15 years and Saturn for 2 so the timing of these is likely different) visit to Capricorn offers opportunities for growth and a deeper sense of empowerment to your life.