Where we were—Scorpio
As the title of this implies, a shift is about to happen—whether you are aware of it or not. It happened last October when Jupiter entered Scorpio. You might remember? Do a simple exercise right now: close your eyes and imagine back to October of 2017, running a mental scan, month by month, of the major moments until now.
Do you notice anything? Did it perhaps seem that your inner world took precedence over the demands or achievements outside you? Jupiter’s movement signifies something major in our lives—particularly our ability to expand and grow. We do this through learning (via educational institutions and travel as well as self education). When it was moving through Scorpio this past 12 + months, those inclinations turned radically inward. Indeed, Scorpio is about inner work, shadow, the part of us that is triggered by close encounters with others … and learning to own that.
Through facing our shadows and fears, and examining the limits and boundaries around our own personal power as it relates to those of others, we do grow indeed. We have seen this happen everywhere, from our most intimate relationships, to our interactions with colleagues all the way to the highest-level politics and happenings around the world. To put it bluntly, through strange twists of codependence and having to deal with triggering, a lot of ugly stuff has been plunged up from the piping, and we are still working to flush it out. It’s not that it just appeared. It was always there. Scorpio made us “go there.” At first it seemed outside of us, but as we came to know, the only thing we were left to do when left so out of control was “be the change.”
Scorpio-Sagittarius Cusp Metamorphosis
The result of the past year in Scorpio has been a transformation that occurs from deep within. Not unlike the time a caterpillar spends inside a cocoon.
As Jupiter sidles up to the boundary between Scorpio and Sagittarius these days (officially switching over on November 9th), we may feel the cocoon cracking open, and light and stimulation flooding in. We might still be triggered but handle it differently than we did way back last October. For as unrewarding as this time seemed, it was an important phase of our lives (which happens every 12 or so years) serving as a check-in and call toward things we would normally avoid as messy or inconvenient. Many fears faced, we are prepared for the next level.
The cocoon is indeed breaking open, but we are not in the mood to fly out haphazardly. What has happened to us in the past year has made us all the wiser. What we do must have meaning now. We are anxious to get out of the emotionally-reactive cycle and into a more philosophical and action-oriented place based on truth and integration—higher-minded behavior and that which differentiates us from other animals … all of these notions are Sagittarian themes.
Yin to Yang/Dark to Light/Water to Fire
We now notice a marked shift in activities as we are pulled out of our cocoons and set free to learn and grow. Sagittarius is the sign of the prophet as well so more teaching (beware of preaching!) is also more in-demand now for those qualified or so gifted.
Collectively: The truth will also be a big subject to nail down over the coming year. Last year was all about reacting to what is fake, evaluating what is not worth reacting to, and learning about the devastating personal and societal effects of manipulation (Scorpio and power lessons). This year will be more about getting clear on boundaries, moving from co-dependence to interdependence and exploring what defines the truth as an ever-evolving concept that, however relative, at one point must be agreed upon. What standards do we hold around truth? How do we draw closer to it and live with integrity as individuals and a collective?
That which connects and divides nations and those under their flags; migration issues encouraged by war/politics and industrialized societies doing the most damage to the planet; how we as humans are also animals (a species) who don’t necessarily exercise dominion over others but are sharing the planet, and the truth around how data is used will all be front-page considerations this year.
Personally: Depending on your chart—where you have Sagittarius, Gemini, Virgo or Pisces, and what is going on in your ninth house—this year will offer its rewards and challenges. Fire signs Leo and Aries can enjoy a marked boost in whatever area and planet they grace. If you are one to cuddle up in the status quo or hunker down in a nest, this might not be the most pleasant year! It’s really in everyone’s best interest to get out of personal bubbles, explore and learn, somehow. A draw to excess might tempt us to expand in unfortunate directions (our waste size, our debt, our lesser-octave habits) if we do not have healthy outlets to continue our education, travel or teach (which is itself a learning process!).
Anyway, it’s a lighter and warmer time—more social. Beware of people preaching and of “falling in love” with trends or newfound passions in a dogmatic way just to ease your mind with a sense of meaning. Last year was difficult for many, and we might be eager to make sense of it all and force a new start. But even meaning is subject to change based on new information and growth. Be keen about perspective and avoid getting carried away even through the most intense of epiphanies.
If you have planets in Sagittarius, the theme they bear and the house in which they reside will be subject to expansion/magnification. Schedule a reading to find out more!
Here are five Jupiter in Sagittarius 2018 tips to take away:
1. Try to find some educational outlet—this can be done through an online course, registering for school if you have been contemplating, retreats/immersion programs, learning another language, or traveling somewhere a bit more adventurous if you have the means. (Sagittarius in Jupiter in general)
2. Watch out for addictions/escape tendencies to be magnified. If you have a weakness for nutella, this is not the year to keep it in the cupboard. If you struggle with addiction generally, do whatever you can to participate in grounded activities and find other outlets like exercise and social groups that are positive to escape into. Shift the energy in a direction. You are in control of yourself and you have power. (Sagittarius in Jupiter and Neptune in Pisces)
3. If you feel yourself righteously preaching about an idea, make sure to try as hard to listen to others about it. The temptation is strong to take something and run with it now. To learn and explore and become so absorbed that we think the entire world should be learning and exploring the same. Be open to others and notice if you become stubborn or resistant and soften to at least understand the contrast of viewpoints. (Sagittarius in Jupiter and Saturn in Capricorn)
4. Note a tendency toward excess. Luck can shift now dramatically. Remember what you learned when times were more slim and try not to go into an overdrive and eat the whole banquet hall in a fit of hunger. Mind every decision and enjoy the benefits without paying the prices later (credit card balances, excessive weight gain or in extreme cases overdose or relapse) of flying off the handle! (Sagittarius in Jupiter releasing from Scorpio)
5. Study a bit of history and dig for more context before reacting and adding your comments to things. At the very least, if you didn’t read the article or watch the video entirely, don’t make a comment on it. We are in a time where you will be called out if you start spouting nonsense. (Jupiter in Sagittarius)